Universal Lifestyle Design
Grenadier Homes are not only beautiful to the eye, but functionally superb. We have introduced the art of Universal Design into our Villas and European-Inspired Homes. Universal Design is the design of space that can be used by the widest range of people. It recognizes a broad spectrum of human abilities and creates a space that can be easily used by most everyone.
Homes at Grenadier include the following Universal Design features:
Home Access and Navigation
- Easy Access to All Entries of the Home
- No steps or tall thresholds from the garage into the home.
- Low profile thresholds for all exterior doors.
- Minimum of 42" Wide Hallways
- Allows for easier maneuverability through your home.
- All Entrances into Rooms and Walk in Closets are 36" Wide
- 36" wide entrances provide ample room to pass through with any kind of walking aid, scooter, or wheelchair.
- 60" Turning Radius in All Living and Sleeping Areas
- Allows for ease of mobility for walking aids, scooters and wheelchairs.
- Pre-Blocked for Future Optional Grab Bars
- Walls are pre-blocked to provide the required support for added grab bars in specific bathroom locations.
- Roll-in Shower
- There is no threshold or change in height between the shower floor and the bathroom floor. Get in and out of the shower easily and safely, whether you are walking in on your own or with the aid of a walker or wheelchair.
- Shower Seat Bench
- A shower seat bench provides a safer shower experience to those who have limited mobility or are unable to stand for long periods of time.
- Door Handles
- Lever handles on all interior doors are easier to grasp and turn for entry and exit as well as convenient for anyone carrying heavy or large objects.
- Choice of One or Two Peepholes on Front Door
- One peephole at 42" above the finished floor for access from a seated position.
- One peephole at 60" above the finished floor for access from a standing position.
- Placement of Electrical Receptacles, Switches, and Thermostat
- All electrical receptacles located 18" above the finished floor.
- All electrical switches located 42" above the finished floor.
- All thermostats located 54" above the finished floor.
- Placing the electrical receptacles, switches, and thermostats at these specified heights, allow for easy access from standing or seated positions.
- Rocker Style Light Switches
- Easier to operate than a traditional, small toggle, for people with limited fine motor control.
- Single Control Offset Valve Just Inside the Entry to the Shower
- No stretching to reach the controls from outside of the shower.
- Allows you to get the water to a comfortable temperature before stepping into the shower.
- Single Handle Lavatory Faucets
- The single lever allows for anyone from a small child to an adult who may have problems with grip to use the faucets with ease.
- Controls on Ranges are Front Mounted
- Avoid reaching across a hot cooking surface to access the controls.
Note: Some features are only included on level one of two-story homes and villas.